Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• {The List-} Cheats

Introduction
    When I was young(er) I loved the CIV II cheat menu- got a pesky civ? Drop some tanks and stealth bombers on them. Need more movement? Add it in. Out of cash? Not anymore!

Cheats were totally taken out of vanilla CIV III. Should they make a comeback in cIV? How should they manifest? Discuss amongst yourselves.

To Cheat or not to Cheat?
    Consensus: Cheats are needed as scenario editing tools.
    Disputed: Cheats are needed to balance multiplayer games.

The Function of Cheats:
    Perspective 1: Strict View
    Brent and others suggest that cheating should be implemented in the CIV II style, full cheats but no hall-of-fame. "It doesn't hurt anyone".

Perspective 2: Limited Scope
    Perspective 2 . 1
    No cheats whatsoever! They are a temptation and only serve to ruin the game.
    Perspective 2 . 2
    Alva:No cheats, but include debug mode.

Perspective 3: All-Encompasing
    Add functionality- Reveal and hide fog of war, make permant build changes to the AI, change unit paths, mess with the AI's understanding of the current map. Tassadar says transform cheat mode into a full-blown, in-game scenario editor.

Perspective 4: Multiplayer
    Perspective 4 . 1
    There is no reason to include MP cheats.
    Perspective 4 . 1
    A successful implementation would allow players to compensate for poor starting locations, a lack of reasources, and other disadvantages.

Requests:
    Kucinich Fix CIV II style cheat bugs.
    Sore Loser et. all: Add an Ironman mode similar to the one in SMAC where you're not "allowed" to reload.

Majority Opinion:
    • Cheats are a core part of the scenario editing process.
    • Do not use "approved saves" (only allowed x turns) or similar save game restrictions to prevent reloading or to allow hall-of-fame points.
    Last edited by MattH; August 9, 2004, 12:39.
    cIV list: cheats
    Now watch this drive!

C2 style cheating. It hurts no one, and is useful for scenarios.

Comment

Definitely a vote for Civ II style cheating. It is much easier to create scenarios through playing the game like in Civ II than it is in Civ III.
      Rome rules

Comment

Great editor : .

Debug-mode : (here some cheats could be usefull I guess (for testing purposes.

cheat-mode : learn the game.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

The cheat mode isn't obligatory, but it's nice to have when you either want to make a scenario(as mentioned), or if you just want to test out the game. I remember from Civ2, that when I had won the game, it was quite fun to make LOTS of cheats to the game and see what happened!
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I'm not sure if this should go in here, but I think there should finally be an official mode where you can just do nothing yourself and watch the computer civilizations battle each other. It's great fun! Okay, it's not great fun, but it could be useful for scenario designers.
            "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
            "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Allready in Civ3.
              People should give this game a little more credit instead of shouting/whining Civ2 was so much better.
              Granted that much has happened since the original release.

Stefu, what you describe is Debug mode and can be accessed from the editor.
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I'm not sure if this belongs here, but I'd like to see an Ironman mode as in SMAC where you're not "allowed" to reload. I follow the temtation argument some of the way, and it's much easier to refrain from reloading when you have to go through bothersome procedures instead of simply doing it. This works for me in NetHack, for example, where I hardly ever reload (I want to experiment with something on occasion and don't always feel like throwing away a high-level character to do so, but rarely), and it increases my gaming experience significantly. You could say that I could then simply refrain from reloading, but that's now how the human psyche works.

The same line of thought can be applied to the discussion about the cheat menu. I'd like the option to turn the cheat menu off when setting up a game, so I won't feel the temptation to sneek peek at the locations so I can see where to found my cities. This should please everyone and is extremely easy to implement.

Comment

Tass: I just added 2.1 to piss people off and get all the options up there . The idea of merging the editor and game has been in my head a long time- and it would make play testing (and corrections) much easier. I'd also like a new addition to the menu: undo. Stepping back a move or a turn could be very helpful.

I'd like to see a CIV II style cheat menu, but an option to disable it in the .ini file would be good.

(I'll add everyone's ideas when I have 30 more seconds.)
                  cIV list: cheats
                  Now watch this drive!

Comment

MattH, could we have a poll on this, then you could tabulate the results and post them above to show the relative popularity of the ideas
                    -->Visit CGN!
                    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

I don't value the civ2-cheat mode as a way to cheat but as a way of making scens.

So I'm for a way of making scens easily in the good old civ2 style. I don't mind about cheating or not - because I don't use this feature.
                      Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

Originally posted by Sore Loser
                        I'm not sure if this belongs here, but I'd like to see an Ironman mode as in SMAC where you're not "allowed" to reload. I follow the temtation argument some of the way, and it's much easier to refrain from reloading when you have to go through bothersome procedures instead of simply doing it. This works for me in NetHack, for example, where I hardly ever reload (I want to experiment with something on occasion and don't always feel like throwing away a high-level character to do so, but rarely), and it increases my gaming experience significantly. You could say that I could then simply refrain from reloading, but that's now how the human psyche works.

The same line of thought can be applied to the discussion about the cheat menu. I'd like the option to turn the cheat menu off when setting up a game, so I won't feel the temptation to sneek peek at the locations so I can see where to found my cities. This should please everyone and is extremely easy to implement.
                        Only if it doesn't give a score bonus.

Comment

Why would you be against an Ironman score bonus, skywalker? I'd say 10% would be a fair bonus
                          -->Visit CGN!
                          -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Except it would be worthless. Anyone who is going for score can still reload, just with slightly more hassle.

Comment

Oh, and if we do have cheats, though, I'd like it not to be buggy. I found that whenever I saved a game and then opened the save, the cheats would be ON (the menu wasn't grayed out, but I wouldn't be flagged as having cheated

Comment

Working...
                              X